Monday, November 24, 2008

Advent Calendar





Wow, it's been a loooong time since I've posted anything here. I guess time just got away from me. I decided tonight that I must remedy this blogging dry spell and come out and post something, anything! When I was little, my Grandpa Tony would bring me an advent calendar every single year. I always looked forward to what would be behind the little doors. Some years, they were calendars with all different molded chocolate shapes and some years there were little plastic charms behind each door. Gosh I miss him and those calendars. I think what I miss most is the memory of him and how he remembered how much I enjoyed them and brought me one every year without me ever having to ask. I decided to make my own advent calendar this year. There are no chocolates or toys inside these little pockets, but it's a way for me to keep my memories alive during the Christmas season.

I used a 12"x12" piece of canvas that I painted in red acrylic Making Memories paint and then coated with a layer of glossy Mod Podge. Next, I made the little pockets 2"x2" and created 1/4" tabs to be folded under on three sides to make an envelope (I used my new Scor-Pal for this). Then I punched a circle in the top of each envelope. I used Bazzill cardstock that I matched to this KI Memories holiday paper that I think I've been saving for about 3 Christmases now! I don't know what I was so panicked for, I still ended up with alot of paper leftover :) I used a combination of Quickutz dies and shapes cut from my Cricut Doodlecharms and Christmas Cheer cartridges. I used QK Tangerine type on the "to" and QK Jolly on the "christmas". I used dimensional foam pieces to make the "Christmas" pop and also added some Stardust Stickles to add glitz. For the "Countdown" title, I cut out QK Katie type and then used the rhomboid shape on the Cricut George and Basic Shapes cartridge. I inked around all the edges and then put a coat of glossy Mod Podge. I had some very thin craft wire that I cut into 3" pieces and twisted around a pen to created the swirls and added some beads from my craft supply. I adhered one end of the wire to the back of the letters and then adhered the other end to the back of the canvas. I just used some heavy duty tape since you can't see the backside anyway. I just used some May Arts ribbon that I punched through the canvas with my Crop-o-dile and placed another bead and knotted the end of the ribbon.

Thanks for looking and for being patient with me since I've been extremely lazy in the blogging department!

6 comments:

Catherine said...

you did a wonderful job :)

Rach said...

This is a wonderful advent calender, a wonderful way to bring back happy memories. hugs rachxx

Breet Pink said...

Aujourd'hui, je cherchais un blog qui me fournisse des informations détaillées sur le sujet vital keto avis forum. Enfin, je trouve ce blog qui contient de nombreuses informations utiles et un contenu impressionnant. Je recommande aux autres de visiter ce blog. Merci de partager cette information géniale.

Anonymous said...

Nice post. thanks for sharing this information. Living Room Furniture

Justin Loiera said...

Very good info.
Fence Accessories

LIAQAT said...

Very healthy information thanks for sharing.
Pet Cooling Mat